- In partnership with gaming platform Roblox, the American retail giant, Walmart, has launched two virtual experiences: Walmart Land and Walmart’s Universe of Play.
- Walmart is exploring ways to engage more shoppers, including recipes, live music events, and even a home augmented reality tool.
Walmart, a retail giant in the United States, announced its metaverse debut with two immersive experiences on the popular online gaming platform Roblox, on Monday, September 26.
The first experience, Walmart Land, is a virtual store featuring fashion, beauty, and entertainment items. Walmart Land replicates what is displayed in its physical store and on the website. While the second experience, Walmart’s Universe of Play, is a virtual space full of virtual games and toys.
Walmart’s two spaces offer the Roblox community’s 52 million daily users entertainment and unique interactive content.
Walmart’s first activities in the metaverse include a toy-dropping blimp and a festival featuring popular music stars. Walmart will also offer virtual merchandise or “verch” for users to purchase.
The retail chain hopes this venture into the metaverse will help them reach more shoppers, especially those who moved to online shopping online during the pandemic.
In addition to the gaming and merchandise, Walmart will host live music events that can be purchased through YouTube, TikTok, and Twitter. Walmart has also partnered with Meredith, the media company that owns Allrecipes, Parents, and Better Homes & Gardens to create exclusive recipes.
Towards the conquest of Generation Z
Walmart has also launched an augmented reality tool on Pinterest. The tool will help users looking to furnish and/or decorate their homes see how items will look before they make any purchases.
According to Walmart’s chief marketing officer, William White, the company plans to experiment on the Roblox platform.
All of Walmart’s projects in the metaverse and beyond are aimed at conquering Generation Z, those 25 years old or younger. The company hopes to learn more about virtual worlds through this partnership with Roblox.
“How are we driving relevance in cultural conversation? How are we developing community and engagement? How are we moving the needle from a brand favorability [standpoint] with younger audiences?” White wondered. To answer himself that this is what it is trying to achieve.
According to White, in the future Walmart could make money by charging brands for the right to include them in their virtual spaces or by charging people who want to turn their experience of visiting real stores into virtual experiences or online shopping.
On the Flipside
- Walmart’s plan to jump into the metaverse began quite some time ago.
- Since the beginning of the year, Walmart has been in talks registered trademarks linked to the metaverse to get them involved in its new marketing strategy.
Several brands have expressed interest in making or selling virtual goods, virtual currencies, and NFTs. But Walmart hasn’t disclosed how it will use the trademarks if it decides to partner with them.
Why You Should Care
- Like other large internationally renowned companies, Walmart does not want to be left behind in web3.
- The metaverse, which is viewed with disdain by some investors, represents a new business niche that could generate great expectations for others.
More information about the metaverse can be found in the following articles: